On Saturday, September 19, 2015, Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) will sponsor an “open house” for visitors.
This is an all day affair, including:
- 5k/10k runway run
- plane pulling competition truck pulling contest for kids
- moon bounces
- antique car show
- vintage airplane display
Admission and parking are free! Free Silver Line Express buses will operate from Metrorail’s Wiehle-Reston East station beginning at 9:30 a.m.
Proceeds from fund-raising activities such as the plane pull will benefit Special Olympics Virginia.
Run the Runway at Dulles International Airport
Dulles Day kicks off at 7:30 a.m. with a 5k or 10k runway run for registered participants.
The Dulles airport runway will be closed off to provide runners with a flat, fast course alongside the landing strip.
The 10k will run the entire length of the runway!
Runners must be able to complete the course by 9:00 am, when the runway will be reopened for aircraft traffic. Advance registration is required. Up to 2,500 runners can be accommodated.
Plane Pull for Charity at IAD
The signature event is the Plane Pull, an event in which teams compete to pull a full-size jet aircraft in the shortest time.
More than 70 teams are competing this year.
Two aircraft will be pulled — a FedEx plane and an United Airlines plane. You can join a team here.
Kids Truck Pull at Dulles International Airport September 19, 2015
This year, kids can get in on the fun with a truck pull.
Teams of eight will compete to see who can pull a big red junk truck 12 feet the fastest.
You can register at the festival starting at 11:30 am. There is a $10 donation to participate. Participants will receive a Truck Pull tee shirt.
Dulles Day Family Fun Festival 2015
At 10:30 a.m., the gates to the airfield open for the free family festival.
Additional family fun activities at Dulles Day include:
- Airfield tours aboard the mobile lounges for $1 per person
- Kids’ play area with bounce houses, truck pull and dunk-a-cop tank
- Equipment displays by Airports Authority Police, Fire and Rescue and Maintenance
- Ride in an Airports Authority fire truck for a $5 donation to Special Olympics
- Police K-9 demonstrations on the half hour
- Food and beverages available for purchase
- Aircraft on display
- Classic car show
Aircraft on Display at Dulles Day
Look for more than 40 aircraft on display, including:
- U.S. Air Force C-17 cargo jet
- U.S. Air Force A-10 Thunderbolt (close air-support aircraft)
- U.S. Marine Corps MV-22B Osprey (tiltrotor helicopter-plane)
- U.S. Navy HT-28 (Bell Jet Ranger helicopter trainer)
- U.S. Coast Guard Rescue “Dolphin” Helicopter
- DC-3 “Miss Virginia”
- DC-3 “Tabitha May”
- Nakajima Japanese bomber “Kate”
- PBY Catalina (WWII Patrol Bomber)
- Bell 429 Helicopter
- Hughes 500D Helicopter
- TBM Avenger (WWII torpedo bomber)
- DHC-1 Chipmunk (WWII primary trainer)
- L-5 Sentinel (WWII “Flying Jeep”)
- L-39 Albatross (Czech built high-performance jet trainer)
- T-6 Texan (WWII advanced trainer)
- T-28 Trojan (WWII advanced trainer)
- Yak-3 (WWII Soviet fighter aircraft)
- Stearman PT-17 Biplane
- Kodiak, high wing float & cargo aircraft
- Piper J-3 Cub (WWII utility aircraft)
17th Annual Dulles Day Classic Car and Motorcycle Show
Check out the cars, trucks and motorcycles on display at the Dulles Day car show. You can help vote on the winners in the following catagories:
CAR SHOW CLASSES
- “Best of the Brass and Antique” (through 1925, Car or Truck)
- “Best of the Classic Era” (1926-1948, Car or Truck)
- “Best of the Chrome and Fins” (1949-1963, Car or Truck)
- “Best of the Muscle Era” (1964-1971, Car or Truck)
- “Best of the OPEC Era” (1972-1983, Car or Truck)
- “Best Import” (Tuner)
- “Best Custom” (Hot Rod Car or Truck)
- “Best American Sports Car”
- “Best Imported Sports Car”
- “Best In Show” (Car or Truck)
- “People’s Choice” (Car or Truck)
- “Top American Motorcycle”
- “Top Import Motorcycle”
- “Best Custom Motorcycle”
- “Best in Show” (Motorcycle)
- “People’s Choice” (Motorcycle)
Want to enter your vehicle? Here’s the registration form.