If you are planning an outdoorsy vacation this summer, listen up.
In honor of John J. Audubon’s 229th Birthday on April 26th, 16 Audubon field guide apps are on sale in the iTunes store for 99 cents, an eighty percent discount.
The sale runs from April 24, 2014 to May 1, 2014.
Audubon was the French-American naturalist and artist who revolutionized the practice of field identification and created fantastic illustrations of birds.
Audubon Field Guide Apps on Sale
Audubon field guides are a comprehensive suite of apps created in alliance with the National Audubon Society.
The sale extends to both single subject apps and regional guides, all of which are $0.99 each for a limited time.
The single subject apps cover topics such as mushrooms, fishes, birds, trees, reptiles, wildflowers and insects for all of North America.
The regional apps are the real bargain. Each app covers eight subjects in great detail:
- Insects and spiders
The regional apps are for these areas of the United States:
- Rocky Mountain
- Desert Southwest
- Pacific Northwest
I have the app for the Mid-Atlantic region, which I purchased at the regular price of $4.99. I love the idea of having a complete reference library in my pocket!
A word of caution: these apps are huge, 1 GB or larger. Make sure you have enough capacity on your device to accommodate such a large application.
Audubon Field Guide — Nature in Your Pocket!
- Thousands of species of birds, butterflies, fish, insects and spiders, mammals, reptiles and amphibians, trees, and wildflowers
- Beautiful color photographs of every species
- Bird songs and calls in crystal clear audio
- Range maps showing migration and resident ranges
- Authoritative information on appearance, habitat, and behavior of every species
- Search by species shape, state, habitat, region, color, size, or name (first, last, scientific)
- Information about parks and reserves in the area
- No internet connection necessary
A number of the 99 cent apps are also available for Kindle Fire, but unfortunately, not the regional guides.
This post contains an affiliate link to my Amazon store. Thanks if you choose to use it!